Google Workspace for Education (formerly G Suite for Education) FAQ's
The information below from Google provides answers to common questions about what they can and can’t do with your child’s personal information, including:
- What personal information does Google collect?
- How does Google use this information?
- Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
- Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
- Can my child share information with others using the Google Workspace for Education account?
Google Workspace for Education information for Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from pupils in connection with these accounts.
Using their Google Workspace for Education accounts, pupils may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google Classroom (described at https://workspace.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from Google Workspace for Education accounts in its Google Workspace for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://workspace.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html You should review this information in its entirety, but below are answers to some common questions:
What personal information does Google collect?
The only personal information we provide for Google, to set up pupil accounts, are names, year groups and emails. No other personal information, such as address, date of birth, gender is provided or linked to your child’s account.
When a pupil uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
- device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
- log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user's Internet protocol (IP) address;
- location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
- unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
- cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
How does Google use this information?
In Google Workspace for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
Does Google use student personal information for users in primary schools to target advertising?
No. For Google Workspace for Education users in primary and secondary schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an Google Workspace for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an G Suite for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the Google Workspace for Education account?
We allow pupils to access Google services such as Google Docs and Slides, which include features where users can share information only with others within our Internet domain here at St Leonard's. This enables pupils to work collaboratively, for example, creating presentations in topic work.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organisations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With parental or guardian consent. Google will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent which may be obtained through Google Workspace for Education schools - including St Leonard's. We would contact parents directly if Google ask for any examples of children's work etc.
- With St Leonard's School Google Workspace for Education accounts, because they are school-managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
- For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the Google Workspace for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information -- such as trends about the use of its services -- publicly and with its partners.
What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
First, you can consent to the collection and use of your child’s information by Google. If you don’t provide your consent, we will not create a Google Workspace for Education account for your child, and Google will not collect or use your child’s information as described in this notice.
If you consent to your child’s use of Google Workspace for Education, you can access or request deletion of your child’s Google Workspace for Education account at anytime by contacting Mrs Filder or Mrs Easton.
What if I have more questions or would like to read further?
If you have questions about our use of Google’s Workspace for Education accounts or the choices available to you, please contact Mrs Filder or Mrs Easton.
The Core G Suite for Education services are provided to us under Google’s Apps for Education agreement.